Stack your Presidents and Save at Win Kelly Chevrolet Buick GMC!
- 2015 GMC Terrain, Lease For $179/mo. for 24 months
2015 GMC Acadia, Lease For $279/mo. for 36 months
2015 Chevy Equinox, Lease For $124/mo. for 24 months
2015 Buick Encore, Lease For $249/mo. for 24 months
Michael Morgan of Seattle has a very simple rule when it comes to travel: If his dog Myles, a 25-pound Puggle, isn’t welcome, neither is he.
The 35-year-old real estate investment executive is among the 62 percent of Americans who own at least one pet, according to the Humane Society of the United States, and thanks to the collective $50 billion they spend annually on their four-legged family members, destinations once off-limits, now welcome well-behaved pets.
So whether it’s a scenic color tour or a holiday sojourn to relatives, it’s reigning cats and dogs in Chevrolet‘s this fall.
Before you go, there are some things to consider, according to PAWS (Pets Are Worth Saving) Chicago, the city’s largest no-kill shelter, and other pet experts.
Traveling with dogs
Not all canines can handle road trips, so it’s best to take a few practice runs before a major journey.
- Restrain dogs during car trips for their safety and yours. Some states require this. Options include restraints, pet carriers and cargo barriers. The Chevrolet Equinox’s spacious cargo area can accommodate a good-size pet carrier and consumers can find specialized pet restraints for use in rear seats. Never let a pet ride in front because it could be seriously injured or killed if an air bag deploys.
- As with children, never leave any pet alone in the car. On a warm, sunny day, even with the windows open, a parked vehicle can become dangerously hot in no time, and heatstroke can develop. In cold weather, pets can experience hypothermia. Furthermore, unattended pets can be stolen. If you see a pet in distress, Equinox owners with active OnStar can alert the authorities or animal control.
- For dogs with anxiety issues or who bark a lot, try a chew treat to keep them occupied. Chewing and licking are very soothing to dogs, and may help yours relax. The optional cargo organizer in the Equinox has space for toys and treats, as do the multiple storage pockets in the doors.
- Identify dog-friendly restaurants, hotels and dog parks on your travel route. For OnStar subscribers, an adviser can help locate pet-friendly establishments.
- Some people snacks – like chocolate – can be fatal to dogs. If your dog gets into something dangerous, OnStar can connect you with Poison Control or send you to the nearest emergency vet.
Once you get to your destination, there is another important step to ensure your dog’s safety.
“Make sure you keep your dog on a leash while they explore your new destination,” says Joan L. Harris, PAWS Chicago director of training and canine behavior. “Even a well-trained dog may feel out of place until they are comfortable in a new location.”
Before the fur flies
Here are some prep steps to help ensure a great trip.
- Make sure your pet is current on vaccinations and, depending on where you’re headed, get additional ones to protect against new threats such as canine Lyme disease. Find and program the number of a 24-hour emergency vet. That way, he or she is no more than a voice command away, thanks to the Equinox’s available MyLink infotainment system when paired with a compatible mobile device.
- In case you become separated from your pet, carry a current photo. A microchip is also a good idea, as well as a collar with a cell number. Never allow your dog to leave the vehicle without the collar, ID tag and leash.
Traveling with cats
Scratch these items off the list before you travel with felines:
- Use a pet carrier or cargo barrier. Unrestrained pets can be injured in a crash or pose a risk of injury to other vehicle occupants.
- Familiarize your car by allowing your cat to cheek rub and spread its scent. Or try placing a bed, blanket or a towel inside the car.
- Consider packing a portable litter box, collapsible food and water bowls and feline first aid kits. An old scratching post you won’t mind discarding can also help keep cats calm.
- To help prevent dehydration, especially on summer trips, try freezing a bowl of water that cats can lick to keep cool. It is a less messy option for traveling with water.
If your pet can’t join you, a rear passenger can video chat back home or to the kennel, courtesy of the available built-in OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot connection in the 2015 Equinox. Up to seven compatible devices can connect to the 4G LTE connection at one time, allowing the entire family to check in.
Thanks to GM News for this article.
Did you know that when SUV’s first arrived on the scene they were truck-based? The result was a ride quality that was, well, universally coarse and truckish. These days, things are different. Many of the choices in this segment are built on car platforms, and that shift has brought with it models that feel smoother and more refined on the road.
Arthritis or back problems can make a smooth ride an essential feature for some drivers. Edmunds.com put together a list of their Top 10 picks of 2012 SUVs and Crossovers for having the most comfortable suspensions in the segment. Buick, Chevrolet & GMC hold 4 of those spots!
- Buick Enclave – “Buick has been on the upswing the past few years, introducing new models that are much more desirable than the so-so products of the past. When it debuted, the Buick Enclave was one of the first vehicles to set Buick in the right direction. The Enclave shares a platform with GM’s latest group of large crossovers and features an upscale interior, a powerful 3.6-liter V6 and plenty of room for both passengers and cargo. For a new or used large luxury crossover SUV, the Enclave is one of the better choices available.”
- Chevrolet Equinox – “The Chevrolet Equinox is part of a growing segment of “plus-sized” small crossover SUVs. Like other vehicles of this type, the Equinox provides the style and utility one normally associates with more traditional SUVs, but without their clumsy driving dynamics and poor fuel economy. As with other crossovers, the Equinox is built on a carlike platform that provides superior on-road comfort and crashworthiness.”
- GMC Acadia – “The Acadia is a large crossover SUV. Mechanically, it’s very similar to its platform-mates — the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and now-discontinued Saturn Outlook. Thanks to its spacious interior, strong V6 engine and competitive price, the Acadia is one of the better crossover SUV choices. Although there were styling changes made for 2013, new and used shoppers should know that Acadias from any year share most of the same pros and cons.”
- GMC Terrain – “A small crossover, the Terrain stands out thanks to its stylish cabin, versatile backseat, ample standard features and sophisticated driving manners. Along with its mechanically identical sibling, the Chevrolet Equinox, the Terrain is a smart choice for a new or used crossover.”
If you have health issues or you simply like a smooth ride, stop by Win Kelly Chevrolet Buick GMC and test drive these quality rides to see which you like best!
Fuel prices are high… and they’re not going to drop drastically any time soon, or ever. As fuel prices continue to rise, customers are more interested in fuel-efficient compacts and hybrids to find relief from the pump.
A recent survey of car shoppers on kbb.com found that 51% of respondents are now considering a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle, while 20% are considering an alternative-fuel vehicle such as a diesel or hybrid. “GM’s strategic investments in four-cylinder and turbocharged engines, advanced transmissions and vehicle electrification have been very well timed,” said Mark Reuss, president of GM North America. “Three years ago, about 16 percent of the vehicles GM sold achieved at least 30 mpg on the highway. Today, that number is about 40 percent, and we have more new fuel-economy leaders on the way…”
What are the Chevy fuel economy leaders on sale today? Here is the lowdown: (all mpg totals are estimated)
- Chevrolet Volt: mpg-e 95 city / 93 hwy / mpg 35 city / 40 hwy
- Chevrolet Cruze Eco: mpg 28 city / 42 hwy
- Chevrolet Spark: mpg 28 – 32 city / 37 – 38 hwy
- Chevrolet Sonic: mpg 25-29 city / 35-40 hwy
- Chevrolet Malibu Eco: mpg 25 city / 38 hwy
- Chevrolet Cruze: mpg 25 city / 36 hwy
- Chevrolet Malibu: mpg 17-22 city / 26-33 hwy
- Chevrolet Equinox: mpg 22 city / 32 hwy
- Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid: mpg 20 city / 23 hwy
- Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid: mpg 20 city / 23 hwy
- Chevrolet Impala: mpg 18 city / 30 hwy
If you’re looking for an environmentally responsible car that fits your budget and your lifestyle, visit Win Kelly Chevrolet Buick GMC, we have plenty of options for you.